Jack got way into it and wouldn't hear of leaving before the last play was over, despite Harvard's pathetic loss. While I was sitting on the freezing cold cement seats, replying to emails and surfing the internet thanks to Zack's iphone, I had an "a-ha" moment. Here I was trying to create a great family moment (okay, not at that precise moment since I was surfing the internet) but the important "moment" that actually happened was a bonding moment between father and son.
So a few weeks later when Zack wanted to get tickets to the Harvard/Yale game down at Yale, I politely declined the invitation. Zack looked sorry for me to be missing all the fun and asked what I would do all day by myself.
My response? Anything I blessed wanted.
Zack and Jack had a fantastic time at the game. They ate hot dogs and talked football. They stayed for the entire game, and Zack convinced Jack to go down and get his picture taken with Harvard's team after the game, which they won!
See how timid he is at first...
Since this game, Jack has become obsessed with Harvard. Whatever football, soccer, basketball game he is playing he is always Harvard (and therefore the winner, and the other player gets to be either Lafayette or Yale).
The boys thoroughly enjoyed their game, and I had the most glorious day of waking late, reading in bed for hours, eating top ramen for dinner and chocolate for dessert, that didn't need to be shared. All in all, it was a perfect day.
3 comments:
How long is a game???
And, more importantly, how do I get Adam and the kids to want to go??
Jack is so big!! I can't wait to see you guys for Christmas!
I love it! I love those all important activities that involve father and son bonding, and therefore, I am forced to stay home. It's glorious!
Post a Comment