Monday, January 25, 2010

Ice Skating with Zack's section

I vowed to do a better job attending Zack's section events, so when the first evite of the semester arrived in my email, I was excited to see that it was a kid-friendly activity at a kid friendly time. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jack's 6:45 bedtime, but sometimes it does take us out of the game a bit prematurely!). Last night we headed out to go to Frog Pond to go ice skating. Outside. In the winter. I will admit I have only ever skated on indoor rinks, most of which were inside California malls, so I was excited. And then when we got there, the romance of skating in the park at night in winter I was envisioning was replaced with the realization that we were indeed skating, in the park, at night, in winter. Frozen hands (one of my gloves disappeared in Utah), frozen legs (I really need to invest in some lined jeans like Jack's or get over the concern that long underwear will only make my bum look even bigger), and most of all frozen feet (never again will I leave the house for an outdoor winter activity in stockings and what classifies as closed toe shoes only to a girl from California).

Other then being frozen, we had a great time. The people from Zack's section were really nice and one happily played with Jack during our hour wait (did I mention we were outside and it was cold?) to get in the rink. I was nervous to see how Jack would react since it had been an entire year since the ice hockey debacle. He was super hesitant at first, and I will admit there were tears shed, but Jack's new Section A buddies encouraged him and he put on a brave face. Here is a shot of Evan trying to help Jack out.



Even though Jack is at the age when he wants to do everything and be everything that Zack is, he is also entering the stage where he will try harder and be braver around strangers then he will around us. Zack and Jack went around the rink a few times (mind you they took a good 15-20 minutes each loop), and when they got off the ice Jack was not crying and said he had a good time and wanted to skate again.



It was a fun, albeit cold evening and a great way to get back into life in Boston.

2 comments:

Ie Li said...

Ana, that looks charming and COLD! I love the picture of the three of you at the end. You are a lovely family.

Grandma Z said...

Ana, I think I may have seen a single glove while cleaning up after Christmas. Was it grey and kind of silky? If so, I'll look around again. Fun to imagine skating on a frozen pond. That would be cold!