Friday, December 31, 2010

Quick Post #3 The Snowman that Came to Life

Meet David.  Jack and Zack built him two days ago out of our first snowfall of the season. 

Each night we share with each other our best and worst parts of the day (thanks to the Rich's for this great tradition).  Two nights ago Jack said the whole day was his best part, but his worst part was too hard for him to talk about for a few minutes.  When we revisited the topic, Jack, head hung low, told us it was when he had to say goodbye to David the snowman.

The next morning Jack was anxious to visit David.  I got a bit ahead of the boys and saw that someone had taken our snowman's head, hat and scarf and made a new snowman a couple of feet away from where we left David.  I was immediately worried about how Jack would take the news and angry with whatever person was mean enough to decapitate a little kid's snowman.

When Zack saw what had happened, he immediately went into a story of how David must have come to life and moved during the night.  He made a game of it and Jack was elated to have built a real life magic snowman!

And I remembered all over again why I married Zack.  His optimism (among other things).  Sure it can infuriate me at moments when he tells people how blessed we are in life and all I want to do is scream "REALLY!!! Are you paying any attention to what we are going through???!!"

And then I realize that's just it, he is paying attention to what's really important and choosing to focus on that.  He is a testament of optimism and gratitude and I need that reminder in my life. 

This morning Jack woke up and wanted to go see how David made it through the night.  Did he find a new spot in the field?  Nope, overnight he GREW.
Before just a few feet tall
and After.  Wowza! (Jack and his friend Aruzhan)



We can't wait to see what magic tomorrow brings!

2 comments:

Annee said...

That is so awesome. It's making magic real for a kid, and what better can you do for them?! I love it.

Ie Li said...

You're such a good writer. You have just the right words to describe the sweetness in your life.