I do not [HEART] hiking. Seriously.
For anyone who has spent any real time with me, that statement shouldn't come as a shock. As a kid, I had to be enticed up the mountain with the promise of "chocolate chip" cookies (only once I had made it to the top of the mountain did I realize I had been duped and they were raisin cookies which everyone knows are never ever good enough to climb an entire mountain for!).
Fast forward to today. Some good friends invited Jack and I to go to San Antonio Open Space Park. Since we really didn't have anything better to do (READ we postponed bowling till Wednesday) we decided to go. It wasn't until we got there that I realized pretty much the entire activity was a nature walk. Nature walks are too close a cousin to hikes for me generally, but the company was fantastic and I was actually happy to be there. Jack on the other hand couldn't understand what we were doing there. I was upbeat telling him we were going on a hike and an adventure, and he kept asking me if we could go to Target now. He saw lizards, ran over bridges, posed for pictures with bugs, walked on logs, saw a deer roaming free (despite the picture looking like it was caged in, it was on the outside of the cage and just happened to be walking down from the hillside near the fence), got totally dusty, gave himself a water bottle shower, played with his friends and saw tractors. Getting in the car I was proud that I hadn't let my hatred of hiking affect his experience. I said, "Wow that was so much fun getting to go on a hike with our friends! To which he responded, "Um, next time how bout I just stay in the car?"
Alas, all my hard work and he saw through to the heart of the matter. Hikes=long bug filled, dusty, sweaty walks!
*Notice that I am so silly and had flip flops on! My red polish was totally brown before the morning was over.
Monday, July 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
That is really, really funny. You can tell jack that I feel the same way about hikes.
BTW -- I love your long shorts. Where did you get them?
I love the picture with the pill bug and that giant tree trunk. Can you even imagine how gigantic that tree must have been?! Jack says funny stuff. But way to go trying to put the positive mom spin on it.
Post a Comment