Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Sweet San Diego Life

It feels like someone has hit the fast forward button on our lives. Dani and Sean's visit was wonderful. I have always wondered how much Jack does or doesn't think Dani and I look like each other. During their visit, Dani told me when she would walk into the room, Jack would look up at her and ask, "Hey are you Adda, or are you Momma?" I guess that answers that question.

My mom came into town the day after Dani and Sean left. It was awful timing on all levels except for the fact that it helped Jack recover the disappointment of Adda and Poppi leaving. Jack had been walking around with his head hung so far down into his chest and every few moments moaning pathetically to let me (and the world) know how sad he was that Dani and Sean had left. He told me his belly missed Adda and Poppi. (Lately "Jack's belly" is who I hear most of his feelings from. Momma, my belly is so big, I can't eat another bite, Momma, my belly hurts I need to play a computer game or watch another show, Momma, my belly needs you to hold me, Momma, my belly is sad because Adda and Poppi left...) His sadness was put on hold when we picked up Grandma at the airport. He was super excited to have Grandma stay for a week, and only once did he look over at her and say, "Grandma, I'm going to pretend that you're Adda okay?" Luckily, Grandma wasn't offended and agreed that he could pretend she was whatever he wanted.

During my mom's stay we took Jack on his first trip to Sea World. He loved the Shamu show, but got very upset to learn that I possessed no secret powers capable of making the dolphins splash us. Towards the end of the day we found our way to the rides portion of Sea World which delighted Jack to no end. Grandma bought Jack a Shamu who is now the newest resident of Jack's crib which incidentally is being overrun with wildlife. The day I told Jack Grandma was leaving he broke down into full on tears. It was heartbreaking for me, for her and of course for Jack. Even the cookies she left him for the ride home didn't interest him. It has been a long week since she left and I am grateful that we head up to Santa Clara this weekend to see Dani and Sean and all of our dear wonderful friends. Jack (and I) are so excited!

Here are some pictures from the last few weeks:

Jack "smiling" for the camera on our first ever "Jack & Momma Movie Day" where we filled our bellies with popcorn and watched Mickey movie after Mickey movie and stayed in our pjs all day. Around 1pm our neighbors knocked on the door and Nicky came in to play with Jack while Danny and I talked for an hour and a half. Then we took the party next door to their house and ended up hanging out till 4:30. It is so wonderful to find out how much the boys like each other and how much I truly enjoy hanging out with Nicky's mom, Danny. Hey, I may have a friend here after all...



Jack (and Poppa) discovered dominos. Zack spent way too long on this, but Jack loved it way too much for it to matter!



Jack and Momma at Sea World on Jack's favorite ride



Grandma and Jack playing in a band together



Jack climbing around like a monkey on the sky ride at Sea World



The Shamu Show (which I actually got all teared up at. Something about remembering it as a little girl and now sitting there with this amazing little answer to all my prayers angel in my arms, and realizing that someday he will probably bring his own children. Sappy? yes, true? Unfortunately.)





Jack and Momma touching [read Jack touching, Momma trying very hard to not let Jack see that I am both completely disgusted at the idea of touching them, and not entirely convinced they won't bite my/Jack's hand off] the manta rays. Jack loved this exhibit!







We spotted a carnival type thing off the freeway and decided to stop. It turned out to be a pumpkin patch with rides. Jack and Grandma jumped in the bounce houses, and he rode the boat and helicopter ride. He then found two pumpkins that he insisted on pulling in a wagon all on his own to the car.













Jack and I painted pumpkins together!



1 comment:

sarah said...

That looks so perfect! What a fun little life you guys have. That is sweet that Jack loves his family so much and sad he has to say goodbye sometimes. Looks like a good time at seaworld, and how fun that you saw a carnival off the road and decided to stop. Good job making a new friend already!