Sunday, May 17, 2009

Jack's lesson

A conversation with Jack:

"Mom, I'm going to teach you something today. It's better when you have food in your mouth to keep your mouth shut so people don't see the food in your mouth." Mind you I had not been eating at the time so this conversation was completely out of the blue and led me to believe that he must spend his time thinking about his uncultured mother's bad habits.

He then handed me a cheez-it from his bag and instructed me to put it in my mouth and then to be ready because he was going to ask me a question and the correct thing for me to do would be to go "mmm hmm" to answer him instead of opening my mouth.

Once I passed his etiquette test, he tried to make me feel better and said,
Don't worry mom, I didn't know how to do that either when I was little. Bongo and Deeda had to teach me.

I am grateful that Jack has such proper friends who can teach him not to grow up like his barbarian mother. Seriously, the kid is starting to give me a complex...

2 comments:

Annee said...

Tell him to bring a bag of cheez-its to beach week. He's got some cousins who might require some refining.

You know, him teaching you, it's a metaphor really. Never mind this particular lesson, but aren't we to learn from the mouth of babes?

3 boys and a lady said...

i really gotta meet this bongo! and girl!!!...i missed you a ton during our girls weekend. I wish you could have come!