Thursday, July 07, 2011

Zackrison Sister Update

Each week the Z Sisters post an update on their weeks and the weeks ahead.  It's my turn to host the update so enjoy!

Sarah

Last Week:
* Put on another successful rooftop concert. This time we hired a security crew so I got to use a walkie talkie and wear this super fashionable ear piece. It all felt very official and quite silly. But the evening was magical and perfect and went off mostly without a glitch so I'm happy.
* Celebrate the 4th of July in Provo Style - balloons (I saw them launch from the Y on Friday, but when we went on Monday they couldn't launch due to bad weather - so that was a total bummer), parade, fireworks (aerials are legal in Utah now! for better or worse)
* Got Oliver to go to 1 day of swim team!! Huge success!! His report was "it was ok" which I'd call a rousing endorsement. Unfortunately vacation and other summer plans preclude us from being able to go anymore this year. But at least we're set up well to go next year!
* Support boys in building dirt jumps for their bikes in the wilderness behind our house - and by support I don't mean I ever picked up a shovel - I just brought them ice water and cheered them on

This week:
* Do some work - must get project to next level before we leave town again
* Go to Idaho - we're headed to a lake house in Sandpoint, ID with the Wiley crew on Thursday. Not sure what we'll do there, but it will be a beautiful change of scenery and hopefully a little cooler

Annee


Last Week:
  • Completely sanded the dresser, filled in the hardware holes, and primed it.  Picking the color was torturous.  I kept trying a sample thinking it would be “perfect” and it wouldn’t be.  I think I’ve settled on a color, only because I’m telling myself I can always repaint it!  I hate when projects drag out like this.  Time to get it done!  Maybe tonight?
  • We did clean the house!  It was awesome.  I was able to give Henry jobs that I really needed done, but was busy doing other things that I really needed done, when I would give him an assignment, I’d come back and it was actually done.  It was almost like having two of me.  The girls even managed to truly clean their room, and get all their toys put away in the right spots in the attic.  It was kind of like magic.  We should have family cleaning days more often.  
  • At long last went to the Durham Life and Science museum.  We’ve been told since the day we first arrived in NC that it was the best museum around, yet none of us had been there to-date.  The butterfly release was magical.  The feeding of the spiders was something straight out of the National Geographic.  It was really a great day.  With a brand new family membership, the kids are already eager to go back soon.
  • We had the Fitzgeralds for a few days.  It went by too quickly as per usual.  Though the 4th didn’t exactly turn out as we had hoped or planned for, I think we still had fun.  The thunder and lightening closed the pool early.  And the rain made fireworks unlikely.  But we ended up at a pretty relaxing late dinner, and happened upon the Bynum fireworks display just in time for the grand finale.  Sparklers back at the house completed the evening.  I love being close to family again.  
  • I pulled off a long run on Saturday!  I think it was a 9-miler.  The thing is, it’s so hot here. Just ask Rachel!  Long runs are getting more and more painful as the summer wears on because even if I had started at 7am (which I didn’t), it’s already warm and muggy.  That’s why the 9-miles I did accomplish are a true accomplishment.

This Week:
  • Finish the dresser!!!  
  • Finish swimteam!!!
  • Finish sewing a baby present!!!
  • Lose 5 pounds :)
  • Run 10 miles on Saturday
  • Get ready for our East Coast road trip summer vacation.  Mentally prepare now to blog each night along the way.  A picture a day on vacation shouldn’t be too hard, right?!

Rachel


Last Week:
  • Spent Friday preparing for the bday which included baking, making paper chains and wrapping gifts.  I made a yellow cake and chocolate frosting from scratch (not good, but pretty) and red velvet cupcakes & cakebites.  Glad for an excuse to try out some new recipes but the search for the go-to non-box cake continues...
  • FINALLY found a way to get gallon sized bottles of Redken shampoo & conditioner.  Picked them up Friday afternoon. 
  • CZ came back from the Middle East and stayed with us for a few days.  We even got to meet WV Jon!
  • Saturday evening we drove down to NC and arrived later than we wanted (sorry!).  Had a lovely, lazy Sunday with the Earnest clan.
  • Ordered the supplies for the bedroom roman shade. 
This Week:
  • Absolutely must get my head in the game at work.  I feel like I've been so distracted!  It's a really short week, I can do it.
  • Sync my iphone and stop into the Apple store to exchange my phone for a new one.  The home button isn't working and it's annoying.
  • Stop by Men's Wearhouse to redeem a gift card to get Ken some new work shirts
  • Use my framing groupon
  • Make reservations for our Bar trip down to Roanoke later this month.  We're making a stop at Polyface Farms!
  • Feed the missionaries on Sunday
  • Find a bolster pillow pattern.  Already have the fabric.  
  • Spray paint bedroom frames
  • Eat as little gluten as possible.  I feel so much better this way.
  • Pipe dream: pick the pictures for our wedding album!
Christine




Last Week:
- Toured the pyramids in Egypt, attended a light show at the pyramids, visited various sites around Cairo, and went on an early morning horseback ride through the Egyptian dessert, it was pretty awesome. 
- Flew from Cairo to DC on Tuesday.  It's nice to be back in America where the water is safe and I actually get some time to myself since I'm no longer a part of a tour group.  I basically slept through all of Wednesday in an attempt to recover from all of the travelling. 
- Stayed a couple nights at the Fitzgerald's cute apartment where the freezing AC is wonderful and now greatly missed.
- Moved over to Melissa's apartment where the AC and internet both don't work, but it's nice to at least have landed somewhere where I may actually stay for longer than a week.  I've become quite familiar with the nearby mall and Starbucks where it's nice and cold and there's free internet.  And there's a movie theater which is another cool place to spend the days.  Can you tell I have a lot of free time these days?
- Enjoyed the wonderful weekend weather here in DC (it's surprisingly not been too humid, my memory of last summer is of it being painful just to walk out the door) which included a trip to Good Stuff Eatery, a walk around the Capitol, a Nats game on Saturday, a nice dinner and walk around Old Town Alexandria, great company, and all topped off with Sunday dinner and games at the Sazband's.  

This Week:
- Fourth of July BBQ and watching the fireworks from the steps of the Jefferson Memorial.  
- Get the AC fixed.  There's just really not a whole lot I can do or get done when I'm not even willing to stay in the apartment.
- Start studying for the CPA exam?  I finally ordered my study materials, so I guess it's time to get started on that.
- Finish my online class.  July 15 is the absolute final deadline.  No more procrastinating allowed.  
- Start looking at more permanent places to move into in the fall. 

Ie Li


Last Week:
  • Picked our second cucumber from our garden.  It was even better than the first.
  • Picked three mature green beans from our garden.  But what do you do with three green beans?
  • Celebrated Mei Li's birthday on Friday.  After changing her mind several times about the party theme, we settled on the carousel and train rides at the mall.  I made Rachel's chocolate chip cookie cupcakes and they were a hit.  At the end of everything, Mei Li said, "Thank you, Mom."  I guess we did good.
  • Mi Na took her first three steps on Friday night.  She has since taken a couple here and a couple there, but there is no real walking going on just yet.
  • Gave "Friday Night Lights" a second chance (that whole Carlotta thing really bugged me) and we powered through seasons three and four.  I loved it.
  • Reserved two airplane tickets
  • Painted the inside of our white bookcases a robin's egg blue color
  • Had Sunday dinner and made s'mores with Christine and John K.  Steve and I are big fans.  Stephen and Mei Li are even bigger fans.
  • Fourth of July ward pancake breakfast.  Stephen was in heaven.  There were five different sports to choose from and he just roamed from sport to sport to sport.
  • Ate some amazing ribs on the fourth of July.  Steve took on that project, complete with spice rub and hickory wood chunks.
  • Put money down on the Richmond half marathon.
  • Finished listening to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the kids.
Next Week:
  • Use two airplane tickets
  • Update my blog
  • Hang some things on our walls
  • Garden
  • Swim
  • Exercise
  • Parent well
  • Turn 28
Ana


Last Week:

-Said goodbye at the last possible moment to our wonderful Boston friends.  Nothing like postponing that final goodbye as long as possible.
-Used our one way tickets to fly to San Diego.  Jack made the adventure even more wonderful by starting to throw up on the plane all over himself and Zack.  Then once more in Dani's car on the way to their house.  Talk about being good house guests.  

This Week:

-Took Jack to In n Out four times.  Yes I know how bad of a parent that makes me sound but he has been asking for In n Out for two years.  I figure we can indulge him a bit our first week back.  
-Started driving around San Diego neighborhoods.  Nothing is settled and we very well may end up back in LA, but it helps me remain sane by thinking I'm making progress on finding and building my nest.
-Answered a scam criags list posting for an amazing 5 bedroom in Carmel Valley with all the upgrades for $1200/month including utilities.  Got an email back from a fellow in Nigeria explaining how he couldn't show me the inside of the house until we signed the lease.  I knew it sounded too good to be true, but figured for $1200/month it was worth a shot!
-Zack has had three interviews and an unexpected call from his summer internship with a job possibility.  Still no final word, but maybe soon?
-Had to keep reminding myself while I was driving around San Diego that the last two years of my life did happen.  We did move to Boston, Zack did go to HBS...
-Started Jack in summer swim camp to try to get him better at his strokes and kicking like a normal person.
-Sign Jack up for the more competitive soccer classes.  He has been asking for these classes for over a year now.  We'll see how he likes it.

9 comments:

Rachel F. said...

What a great update. :-)

Rachel F. said...

.

Annee said...

Zack's going to get a job in CA!! Love the updates as per usual.

sarah said...

Rachel - so what is your solution for gallon redken bottles and how much to you pay for them? I bought shampoo for $50 and conditioner for $75 online but wonder if there's a better/easier option.

Ie Li - "but what do you do with 3 green beans" that made me laugh since I've that exact same thought before when harvesting from my garden in the past. Where are you going with your 2 airplane tickets?

Annee - What color did you settle in for your dresser? Is it going in your bedroom? What was the bribe/motivation for the kids to help clean the house? That sounds amazing! And yes a picture a day definitely sounds doable so you just go for it. I'm excited to hear about your east coast adventures.

Ana - that is just so tragic to hear how sick jack got on the plane/car rides! Insult to injury for sure. Hopefully the in n out made him feel better. I'm so curious to hear where you guys end up. I'm sure you are too! Do you still have some friends there in SD from when you lived there before?

CZ - you win the award this week for funniest update, I think. Love the contrast between this deep meaningful trip to the ancient pyramids and Bedouin camps and the lands of Jesus to spending your days looking for free wifi and cold air-conditioned spots to hang out. I was cracking up.

Thanks girls.

Ie Li said...

Sarah, congrats on another successful concert. We are so proud of you.

Annee, what color did you settle on? We can't wait to see you tomorrow night.

Rachel, what will you do at Polyface farms? We are going the no-box cake route as well and so far we haven't found a truly great recipe. The cupcakes we made for Mei Li's party were from scratch actually, but they weren't quite as good the from-the-box recipe. But our adult guests still loved them.

Ana, I laughed when you wrote "We did move to Boston, Zack did go to HBS..." Well, we visited your Boston and said hello to it for you. I can only imagine the pain of saying goodbye to your beloved Charles River. He's pretty easy to fall in love with.

Christine, we loved seeing you and John last week. Good luck with the online class.

Annee said...

I painted the dresser a really charming shade of blue. It will be featured on MoM this week. Stay tuned!!

Sarah, there was no bribe. There were only lots of lectures and guilt ridden monologues about the ease of their lives and how cleaning for a few hours was the very least they could do for their poor mother. Like I said, it was awesome!

CZ we have both free wifi and really amazing A/C...

Zack said...

Hi Sisters,

As an update, I got a great offer for a job here in San Diego. It's pretty much exactly what I have been hoping to find all along. Cool, private company looking to grow and wiling to give me a lot of opportunities to grow too!

We'll see how it goes, but it feels great to have such a great offer....

Love,
-Zack

Danielle said...

I want to see you!!! Are you staying with Dani in San Diego? We're down here too and would love to get together. Email me at dboren1977@gmail.com

Welcome back to CA!

Rachel F. said...

Zack - can't wait to hear more about the potential job! I knew it would all work out.

Sarah - I bought them at a hair supply store. The shampoo was $28 and the conditioner was $45. I'm sure that's as rock bottom cheap as I'll ever get them so I'm totally happy.

Ie Li - At Polyface Farms we'll take a tour and buy some meat and eggs!