I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself lately and it's time for it to stop. I am uncomfortable most of the day and exhausted the rest. I forget what it was like to actually be a mom to Jack that I could be proud of. Not that he or Zack would ever complain, but I feel it. Someone reminded me about everything we have been through to bring this baby into the world and it reminded me to be grateful.
When I was 4 weeks along and our ob was monitoring my hcg levels every 48 hours my levels weren't doubling. In fact they told me to prepare myself for a miscarriage. As devestated as I was, I was grateful that I had been spared having to see the heartbeat on the ultrasound machine. Two missing heartbeats was devestating enough, I couldn't take a third. The doctors decided to do one more round of hcg testing. I waited the 48 hours and picked up the phone knowing it was the nurse and I was prepared to hear the news. But instead she told me my hcg level tripled. I don't think I managed a coherent sentence for the first few moments of that conversation. At which point I started to cry and told her I didn't know what to say I had prepared myself for the complete opposite news and was speechless.
Then I made it to eight weeks and stopped functioning again. Each of my prior miscarriages I had lost somewhere around eight weeks and I had to wait one whole week before my next ultrasound appointment. This was a huge low point. I don't think I got out of bed for two days. That is when my amazing husband swooped in, picked me up, packed us up and took Jack and me for a spur of the moment weekend trip to New Hampshire. By the time we got home, I was mostly out of my funk and made it to the appointment where we heard everything was perfect.
Fast forward through months of nausea, a bleeding scare, complete placenta previa downgraded to partial 18 weeks later, a move across the country, a new job, and this new life inside of me kicking to remind me "Mom I'm alive, we made it" over and over again.
I am grateful for those kicks. I am grateful for Jack who hands down is the most amazing kid, and I am most grateful for my husband who nine years later stands more firmly planted by my side then ever before. Here's to a year of being blissfully exhausted to come.
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am sitting here with huge tears in my eyes. I am just so glad that you are so uncomfortable and exhausted! ;) No, but really, I am just so happy for you, and what a beautiful way to put it. I can't believe what a huge year of change it's been for you guys, but it sounds like you've really hunkered down together as a family, and that is just wonderful. Best of luck in the coming days!
Post a Comment