I remembered today a story Dorothy shared a story with us about her time living on campus at Harvard. She had a neighbor who was from India who had never made a cake before and asked her to teach her how. The story goes that the two of them baked in Dorothy's apartment a delicious cake and her neighbor went home eager to try one on her own. Once she had baked her cake, she brought it over for Dorothy to sample. One bite and Dorothy realized that the cake tasted like curry. Her pans and kitchen were so infused with curry that the cake stood no chance. Today, I remembered this story as Zack and I spent our seventh anniversary scubbing our kitchen with clorox wipes, Ajax, harsh sponges, and 409 in a battle that I am sure we lost against curry. The highest concentration of smell was coming from the kitchen and when Zack pulled out the stove, we were met with all sides of the stove, sides of the counter, and back wall all stained with curry. It is really a shame because after a year away from Santa Clara (where countless experiences of running in a gym, inhaling curry) I had almost nearly repressed the memory deep enough to be ready to try Indian food again. Sadly, now I can't imagine a world where me and curry will make up.
As I was scrubbing our petite bathroom, I was both relieved not to have three bathrooms to scrub anymore, and at the same time, overwhlemed by the age of this bathroom and all it must have seen. I realized how depressing it could be to be scrubbing a bathroom on an anniversary, but I realized that all I was was grateful to be spending our anniversary making this apartment into a home for my family. I love you Zack. I have loved you for almost half of my life and I will love you for the rest of it and throughout eternity. Forever and a day...
**We drove all over Boston today and the houses were beautiful. I think that the drive from the airport must have taken us through some shaddy streets, because since then I have pointed out one beautiful house and neighborhood after another.
**Zack and I do spend a fair amount of our time out here feeling like people think we must be from outterspace. Yesterday, much to our waitress' disbelief was the first time we had heard of, let alone tried a Hoodsie, and today while at Friendly's the lady had to explain at least three times to us what frizzles were. I guess to a lot of the country Californians probably are akin to aliens.
** Sometimes I look around and realize that I am surrounded by some of the world's brightest people and it can feel a bit intimidating. That is until I realize that the guy walking down the street with his pants unzipped is a Harvard student and suddenly I don't feel quite so intimidated any longer. I at least knew enough to zip up my pants. Score, double score.
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I still can't believe you guys are there. I really need your camera cord to arrive. Until I see the pictures, I just can't picture it. Stand next to an old building for me.
At least you'll know it's clean curry.
Happy anniversary!! 7 years is a milestone!
FRIBBLES, not FRIZZLES, silly!!!
Welcome to the East Coast. :)
ps -- have you tried the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup sundae yet? I could live on their peanut-butter sauce. And their butter-crunch ice cream. Yum.
Ok. Come visit us now.
Oh, and Happy Anniversary!
Boston definitely has some of the most beautiful, historic and lovely houses of any city I know. Head over to Beacon Hill when you get a chance.
I LOVE the Charles River, lined completely on both sides with walking/running paths and bridges all along the way. It is a great place and from your house you're less than a mile to the river bank so that could be a nice place for you to escape to often.
Don't wait too long before you take Jack to Boston Commons park. SO lovely and romantic (and I'm sure he'll love the Swan Boats). I hope the heat lets up for a bit so you guys can explore.
And so many delicious restaurants. I can't wait to come visit you guys!
Happy Anniversary! What an adventure for your whole family. I love thinking about you guys only being an eight hour drive away.
Post a Comment