Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Trick or Treat



This was the year of Donald Duck and last minute costumes. I like to blame still being burnt out from last year's Halloween costume awesomeness which was the Empire State Building and King Kong...



...but as I was searching for the picture to attach, I realized that all that effort was two years ago. I guess I can't be claim to be burned out two years later...

The truth is Jack had an opinion this year. The problem was that his opinion changed every hour. We would be all ready to get his costume and then he'd inform me that he no longer wanted to be Mickey Mouse, but instead wanted to be a pink (or purple) kitty. I fought hard against the visions of myself dressed up as a kitty when I was five years old, complete with fuzzy ear headband and furry tail, and looked for the requested costume, but he didn't like any I found (at least any I found that I was willing to show him). Three days before our Halloween party, I drove 45 minutes to get to the Disney store and told Jack that he could choose any costume from the store. We walked out half an hour later with a Donald Duck costume, and a talking "Sally." Truthfully, he was more excited about Sally.

Halloween afternoon, I took Jack down to the Ralphs shopping plaza for his first Trick or Treating experience. We had a great time, and Donald's head remained on for all but 5 minutes. Later that evening, we went out Trick or Treating with a few of our neighbors. By the end, when someone would open the door and tell him he could take a candy, he would look in the bowl and tell them "I don't like any of those" and turn around and walk away. The last door we knocked on Jack informed them that all he really wanted was some water. They were nice enough to get him a sealed bottle of water and thought he was so cute that they also gave him a special ring that lit up. Thoroughly re-hydrated, we headed home and let Jack take a turn handing out candy. We had tons of trick or treat-ers and truth be told, Jack had more fun waiting for the doorbell to ring or a knock on the door so he could open it and after asking everyone what they were, choose just the right piece of candy for them.


Zack was unfortunately not able to get his costume finished, and ended up being the Hawaiian gorilla again.



Jack was a bit freaked out by his gorilla hands, but finally agreed to touch them.




Nicky came over to tell us it was time. He was having a costume crisis too, as is depicted by the Jedi Rocket.



Jack thought we were moving too slowly, so he set off on his own in search of candy.







By the end of the evening, Jack kept sticking his head out the window hoping he might catch a glimpse of another trick or treat-er along the path. He had just one last bag of Skittles that he insisted on giving away before going to bed.



After we put Jack down, Zack got back to work on his costume. I indulged his need to see a project through to the end, and happily took his picture to document this year's project... the Tivo guy.

8 comments:

Christine said...

Wow. Zack's costume is amazing, that's one to keep around forever.

Jack looks adorable and I'm always impressed by the stories about him, he doesn't quite act his age sometimes. He's great.

Annee said...

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing so hard! I've been waiting. Talk about blog stalking, everyday to see the Tivo man picture. It did not disappoint! And the best reason to document this years Halloween costumes...How many years do you think you'll be able to say both of the men in your life wore tights on Halloween?!

Zack, I'm so proud of you for going with the tights. They look so great. You have lovely legs. You must keep the Tivo costume in storage for next year. It's priceless.

Ana, you are so nice to help Zack finish it, even after Halloween was over.

You guys are so great. I think Jack made a delicious Donald Duck. I'm not sure I've ever seen him looking so cute!

You made my day with this post!!

Ie Li said...

Jack looks fantastic in his Donald Duck costume and Zack's Tivo costume is genius! Thanks for the update.

sarah said...

Wow those costumes are amazing! That is heartbreaking that Zack didn't finish Tivo guy in time. But just imagine how great it will be next year to have it done already! Donald Duck is so cute and the tights are a very funny but perfect touch (on both costumes!) Thanks for all the updates. You've been busy!

p.s. I'm sorry you're not pregnant yet and you want to be. Thanks for being so open and sharing that experience with us through your blog. You are in our prayers.

Maryanne said...

I have just one thing to say about Jack- AWE.SOME. I love that he asked for water, his honesty is a beautiful thing to see. :)

Monica Rich said...

Ok, Jack's trick-or-treating comments cracked me up. And I never thought I'd see Zack in tights. Hilarious.

Rachel F. said...

THESE COSTUMES ARE AMAZING!!!!! Seriously, father AND son wearing tights? That's awesome. Imagine how many years a Tivo costume will be funny? If Tivo dies out (how could it ever?) then he'll be wearing an awesome vintage pop culture costume like when people dress as Pac-Man. Never get rid of it.

And Jack's giant Donald bum makes me smile. Delicious, just as Annee said. Thanks for sharing!

Zack said...

Correction: Tahitian Gorilla