Monday, September 29, 2008

Furniture

After six years of marriage, Zack and I finally purchased bedroom furniture all our own last month. There was a set at Bassett that I have been eying for the last three years but could never get over the sticker shock of how much bedroom furniture actually costs to buy. When we found out that lease on the bedroom furniture that Christine so lovingly allowed us to borrow for the last three years was up, we decided it was time to grow up and own our own set. We lucked out and walked into the store on the very last day of their deep sale and thanks to Zack's awesome negotiating skills (more on that subject sometime) we walked out excited that our bedroom furniture would meet us in San Diego four days after we moved in.

It is now nearly three weeks since we moved in, and we are still living out of boxes in our ginormous and practically empty master bedroom. Zack calls each and everyday to try to figure out what went wrong, and when we can expect our furniture. For a week and a half we were told by the lady answering phones that there was one man who was in charge of their deliveries and she was trying to get a hold of him. I still don't know why it took so ever-loving long to get in touch with the man, but when she finally got in touch with someone at his office Thursday of this past week, she was told she just missed him; he had gone home with a headache. Friday morning, when Zack made his daily call requesting more information on when we can expect our non-refundable, non-returnable, and non-existent furniture, he is told that the man went to the hospital last night and died.

How completely devastating for his family and friends.

But, am I to understand that in a company as big as Bassett, there is no one else who can find out where my long overdue furniture is? It looks like we are going to have to wait a very long, long time.

6 comments:

Maryanne said...

.... He died? Man, if that's just an excuse she came up with, she's going to have a lot to answer for in the day of judgment. :) But seriously, there's no one else who can find your furniture? Sounds fishy to me.

Annee said...

Oh my gosh, that is the craziest story ever. I think it's time to apply Rachel's skills and get on the phone with the national company help line. Surely this does not come down to one guy, who has just died. That's just crazy. I hope it arrives soon, and that when it does, you'll send pictures.

Rachel F. said...

Oh my goodness! Is it terrible that I'm laughing? And a bit suspicious? This mystery man that no one can locate the suddenly dies, which they were probably hoping would make you back off a bit. Stick with it. Fingers crossed, I'm a little worried for you guys.

sarah said...

wow that is awesome. Well our condolences to the family of mr. pivotal-delivery-coordinator-one-man-bassett-band-elusive-whats-his-name.

Zack said...

Bassette thinks the furniture is in Chino... the warehouse in Chino says it's not there.

Monica Rich said...

I was wondering why you hadn't posted in so long -- because I have you on my Google reader and nothing has been coming up there -- and then I remembered that you went private! So many posts to read, so little time!

This is such a strangely tragic story! The furniture better come soon -- I'm dying to see it. As I'm sure you are, too.